27 May 2010

Breakfast: Eggs in the Basket

I've been meaning to try this one for a while. When I was a child, my aunt made eggs in the basket. I don't remember if I liked it or not (I was a picky eater), but after seeing V for Vendetta (several years ago, in the theater), I've wanted to try it again.

I like to eat vegetables with my eggs, so I sautéed red peppers with garlic salt and dried onions. I buttered both sides of a piece of bread then tore a hole out of the center. This process was a bit messy. I placed the bread in the pan. I broke an egg over the hole then seasoned it with salt and pepper. After the bottom was done, I flipped the bread over to cook the top. When the egg in the basket was done I sprinkled red peppers on it.


Verdict: The eggs and toast were good, although the yolk did not cook all of the way through. I am not sure if that is because I didn't account for the bread and flipped it too soon or because my boyfriend's stove has issues. Adding the red peppers was genius. Next time, I will try using 12 grain bread because I think it'll make a better "basket".

3 comments:

  1. Use the top rim of a glass or a round cookie cutter to get the whole out without making a mess. Butter the bread after you've taken the middle out. You can then toast the circle and use it to dab at a runny yoke, as a lot of people do, or just eat it plain or buttered like regular toast.

    Also, cooking it longer on a lower temperature will cook the egg better without burning the bread. You'll also get that nice dark amber color.

    ReplyDelete
  2. my family always called this a "toad in the hole".... have no clue as to why.... <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cassie--I read about that method. I didn't have any clean cups and the bread was very soft--it would have been impossible to butter with real butter after taking the center out.

    Matt's stove has been running hot lately. I'm going to try using lower heat next time because I don't like runny yolks!

    Devon--That's cute. I've read there are a lot of different terms for them. :)

    ReplyDelete