24 May 2012

Puerto Rican Coffee

When I wake up I have a certain routine: put in my contacts, make a pot of coffee, and then feed Misty. Misty likes to think her breakfast is first on my agenda, but she usually contents herself by meowing methodically as I make the coffee.

After I fed Misty this morning I noticed I could not hear or smell the coffee brewing. I was puzzled since I had just cleaned the coffeemaker with water and vinegar. It had been working quite well for several days, but the coffee burner was not warm. My research told me it would be cheaper to buy a new coffee maker.

As they say, necessity is the mother of all invention. I did not want to go out for coffee, so I decided to try Puerto Rican Coffee.

I brought 8 oz. of water (per cup of coffee) close to boiling. I added 2-3 tablespoons of ground coffee and stirred for 6 minutes. Then I filtered the grounds from the water.

 I used a coffee filter, bread ties, and a mason jar to filter my coffee.

I put the water back in the pot and added creamer until it was the color I usually drink my coffee. I let the water simmer for another 2 minutes, stirring occasionally.


Although it does take longer than automatic drip, Puerto Rican coffee is worth the wait. My morning coffee was delicious and full of flavor. It would pair perfectly with dessert. Now I just have to plan my housewarming party.

1 comment: