10 December 2009

Green Solutions: Drain Cleaner Alternatives

Why pour harsh chemicals down your drain when baking soda and vinegar can unclog it cheaper and greener?

After my boyfriend tried several variations of chemical drain opener without success (the water barely trickled down the drain), I was tired of sending harsh chemicals down the drain without noticeable effect. The commercial chemicals were not cheap; I decided to try a natural alternative.


With a little research, I discovered much like the volcano experiment of elementary science, a drain can be unclogged using baking soda and vinegar. The combination of a base and acid loosen the nasty bits clogging the drain.

I shook the suggested 1/2 cup of baking soda down the drain and poured 1/2 cup of white vinegar after it. The concoction immediately bubbled. After twenty minutes of bubbling, I poured hot water into the drain.

Lo, and behold! The drain worked much better. I did the experiment again; this time it loosened it enough for me to remove the drain stopper and the hair blob stopping the water's passage. I followed this with one time and the drain has worked perfectly ever since.

1 comment:

  1. Good idea. I never did that experiement in science though. Guess they didn't want me around anything that might explode. Lol.

    ReplyDelete